Sunday, February 26, 2012

Joy in Simplicity

I discovered an interesting concept this week: how to be happy. I have heard for years now people say things like "You're in charge of whether or not you're happy." Or "it's up to you how you react to something." And I agreed to an extent. But how do you just ignore the way people or events make you feel and slap on a fake smile? That just wasn't my style, when I was upset, angry or sad about something I was going to show it. This weekend my fun roommates were all out of town and it turned out to be just lil' ole' me in the house all weekend. I can't explain it but it just hit me. I was happy. Sitting in the apartment completely alone, watching lame movies or doing laundry and exercising. I was happy. That's when I realized, I choose to be content with how my life is and more than that I choose to find joy in its simplicity.  Would I have been glad to have a friend call or that cute boy invite me over, well heck yes! But I choose to be happy alone or with people. I choose to love the emotions I feel, to laugh at myself, to laugh at the frustrations I have, to laugh at the worries or the things I hate. I believe I have found the key to being happy even when I am sad or lonely. This is my life, my emotions, my experiences and I am happy with all of it. If for no other reason than the fact that it's mine. I love it. I love it all completely, in its ups and downs I love it. I am happy in it, all of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment